What to wear when breastfeeding: mom outfit

, , No Comments
There is something I have been wanting to write about in regards to post pregnancy - what to wear when breastfeeding.
I have found myself in need of clothes that are easy to take off for breastfeeding whether I am out or in the house. I also been wanting clothes that are not noticeable if your breasts discharge milk at the most inconvenient times and also that hide the extra pounds you put on during pregnancy.

WHAT TO WEAR WHEN YOU BREASTFEED:

1. Easy access - Buttoned up Clothes:
 - Dresses and shirts that are buttoned up in the front with wide scooped neck. These are the best type of clothes if you are breastfeeding and are hard to find. I found a floral dress at Marshalls for just $16 that is not only perfect for breastfeeding but also in line with what's trendy in the fall. I paired it with black stockings and ankle boots and I am ready to go. This dress is perfect if you are at a friend's house and you need to breastfeed your child because you can unbutton few buttons without exposing your entire body. It has not been easy finding shirts or dresses with buttons in the front. I found buttoned up shirts at H&M, but they were sheer and white. With huge and leaking breasts that was not ideal, although I bought one shirt because it was super cute.

When you buy buttoned up shirts or dresses for breastfeeding make sure you have enough room in the shoulders. You might need to take the sleeves off if you don't have enough room to pop your breast out. This depends on how big your chest is and how the dress/shirt fits.

The flower dress above is exactly what I bought at Marshalls but with short sleeves and only for $16. I'll add a picture later.


2. Stretchy Clothes:
-Preferable dark colors. We all know if we breastfeed our breast leak and we stain our clothes. How embarrassing if you are out and suddenly you have round wet spots around your areola. I know they make pads, but I personally have not found some that really work and stay in place. I tried the Lansinoh's brand, and while I love their nipple lotion these pads suck. If you found a brand that works for you let me know.

My solution to avoid or minimize leaking of nipples from breastfeeding is to wear black clothes. So when you shop for breastfeeding clothes go for stretchy material because you want to be able to take undress from the top only and choose dark colors. I found many dresses with lose stretchy tops at TJmaxx or Marshalls for a really reasonable price. Target also has a maternity line with cute dresses like the picture below. I never had any problems breastfeeding with these type of dresses. I have them with long sleeves or short. .Just again make sure the top part has enough room to get your arms out and in the dress easy.  Check out for more ideas Milk friendly blog. 
mom outfit




You probably wonder why I put stiletto shoes as part of breastfeeding. Just because you become a mom and you are breastfeeding and you are at home most of the time does not mean you need to look like a homeless person or let yourself go. I went to a breastfeeding support group wearing heels and a dress. I was the only one not wearing yoga pants. While I wear yoga pants when I need to clean or work out I refuse to let my femininity go. I already feel like crap because my body is a mess. It makes me feel good if I do something nice for myself. You give your life to this little one, you deserve to do something small for you. You deserve it!!

3. So you gained weight and you are fat. You still look like you are 5 months pregnant, your belly is out of proportion and you have no muscles left. You need something to hide and hide well.

- Wear black. Black slims down. That's a fact.
- Wear shapes that do not make you baggy. Prefer shapes that accentuate your waist (yes you have a waist now) and that are floaty at the bottom.


I have found #1 and #2 at Marshalls. I wore these dresses when I was pregnant and now that I am breastfeeding. You can see they are perfect to take off when breastfeeding and also to look good. If you wear one of those tummy slim belt you will look even better. You can find a tummy slim belt at Target. I wore the belt few times and it did worked. The only problem is that within one week I needed a smaller size but because the belt is pretty expensive I did not buy two. So I wish the belt was more flexible and adjustable for multiple sizes. Now I just do abs work outs.

                 
I am wearing a simple black dress with a wide scooped neck for easy access. I paired it with black hosiery and ankle boots by Calvin Klein. The bag is from Armani. You can see I am wearing underneath the dress a slim post baby belt for my tummy. I don't like the fact that you can see it but with black dresses it is not that that that noticeable.

Thank you for all my friends who gave me tips on how to dress fro breastfeeding on Facebook. If you like follow my fashion page on Facebook to keep up with my tips on a daily basis. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment