Top 10 Fashion Items to Own

, , No Comments

What are the must items to have in your wardrobe? 

Every Year I clean and organize my closet. I try to do a good cleaning every change of season. There are different criteria I use to determine whether I will keep an item or not, from it is totally consumed and has holes, to ' my body is not 20' and the last but not least, 'too many sequins.' Cleaning and organizing the closet for me is very calming and relaxing. It cleans my vision from the clutter accumulated through years of consumerism or necessity and it provides me a beginning to really understand what are the top fashion items I need in my wardrobe. So I put together a list of items I want to buy this year. Many are classic items that everyone should own at some point in their lives. Some I need to replace after 10 years of well use.




Item to buy in 2015




1. A Cashmere Coat: I can't street enough the importance of investing in a good quality coat that will actually keep you warm in the winter. Cashmere coats will cost you but they will also last forever and will keep you from freezing your ass at the bus station when it is below 20. Max Mara has probably the best coats but they are pricy. Modi Operandi sells some really nice ones. On Ebay you can score a real cashmere coat for around $600. The point is that you need to stop wasting money here and there and put your pennies in the 'cashmere' jar.

2. Leather: Whether you need a leather jacket, leather pencil skirt, leather dress, or top you will never go wrong with investing in genuine leather. As controversial as it can be to buy real leather (animal cruelty) it is also true that continuing buy clothes that are poor quality has an equal impact on the environment and animal kingdom. I personally would rather buy one good item only than many through my life. I own real leather boots that my mom used to wear when she was in her 20s. Leather jackets for women can be as heavy or light as you might desire. I love light and soft leather jackets for the spring and summer. They keep me warm from wind and a/c. All Saints has probably the best leather jackets at very high prices. But you can score nice ones on sales everywhere from Burlington Factory to Motivi, to Good Will etc.

3. Silk or Satin long Skirt: I am obsessed with smooth silk fashion items. From pj to maxi skirts I find these pieces classic and long-lasting. I am particularly looking for a nude or powder pink long silk skirt to pair with pretty much anything and wear any season. I am actually about to sew one myself because I can't find one that I can afford.

4. Hunter Rain Boots: I don't know how a pair of rubber boots have become fashionable and expensive. Especially when you can go to Home Depot and score a similar pair for $10. However, here why I would pay the money to buy a pair of green or black rain boots. You live in Florida and it rains during hurricane season every single day. You have to fight the snow and rain of norther cities. You do gardening or attend outdoors events. And you are an architect and are checking out muddy projects. Let me tell you that these boots do not protect you from freezing temperature. I know because when I was in Paris in December wearing Hunter boots I was freezing my feet. I had to buy 3 pair of sucks.

5. A Cashmere Burberry Scarf: There is something about owning a classic item such as a Burberry scarf that makes it ok to spend all that money in a small rectangular to wear only for one season. But again I was given an awesome cashmere/wool giant pashmina by Fendi. I used that pashmina everyday, every year as a blanket, as a hat, while freezing in my office, while raining outside....And it never broke, never lost its shape, never got weird nods or dots. It was and still is the best scarf I could have had.

6. Tan or Nude Hat: I am obsessed with these bohemian hats. Some are wool, some are expensive, but they all look awesome. Floppy hats if in neutral colors can really change an outfit. Just get one and don't ask why.

7. UGG: So, in theory Ugg boots are pretty ugly. When paired with denim mini skirts and a football t-shirt you just want to immediately vanish and replace your Uggs with heels. In reality Ugg boots are famous for a good reason. They keep you damn warm. It's quite amazing. I bought a pair 10 years ago at TJMaxx for $50 and ended up wearing them as slippers when the color faded and my dog had puked on them. I finally donated them (after cleaning them well), but I need to get another pair. One of these fashion items you need to be comfortable in the house or taking your dog for a walk. I would not wear them at the grand gala.

8. A light brown tote: for some reasons I have not bought a purse or bag in years. The only ones I wear are the ones I make and sell in this boutique in Key West because they are clutches and small. 5 years ago I was probably into huge bags, but now I am all about being free. Less is better. There is one bag that I do want to get. It is a simple brown tote to use for work, grocery, running errands that require loading items in bags. I see a tote as a grocery bag you won't forget at home when you are at the supermarket.

9. An awesome leather laptop case: I don't own a cell phone or laptop case. I feel it takes away from the original design of an item. However, I am clumsy and I have dropped my cell and old laptops thousand of times (rest in piece white ibook). Two of my favorites cases for cell-phones and laptops are the gold plastic iPhone case and a leather iMac book case. Now I just need to motivate myself to buy them even if I really don't need them and want them.

10. High knee leather boots. With the first money I ever made I bought a pair of black leather boots in Italy. They were expensive but beautiful. They were made with soft leather that came up my thighs, but you could also flip them to your knee. That was 10 years ago. I still have them and they are my only pair of black leather boots. They are starting to wear off so I am looking for a new pair with low heel. I want something for everyday, that is classic. Everyone needs a simple and low heel pair of boots. J.Crew probably has the best and wide selection. You can score a pair of their boots on Ebay for $120 and up.

Those are my top 10 fashion items to have in your wardrobe. What do you think? Did I miss anything? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment