5 tips to take great fashion pictures for your blog

, , No Comments


Over the months working with Mallory, I have learned few tricks on how to take great fashion pictures for my fashion blog. Here 5 tips on how to take photos for your fashion blog. If you have more feel free to leave a comment.

1. Think in advance:  To have great photos for your fashion blog or any other blogs you need to plan in advance. This could take 10-30 minutes. Think about location and the outfit you will be wearing. For example if you are wearing a white dress you probably want a background/location with a strong contrast like red/brick wall or pink. In the picture below, we played with the lines, green and the silver elevators.



2. Location: This is where your story will be told and potentially how you set the mood. A parking garage is an easy way to get a sense of urban or a city girl who goes out of town. Think about colors, lines, architecture that will help the framing of your picture. You don't need to think hard, a brick wall or a graffiti wall will function beautifully for your outfits.



3. Lighting: I always taught my students the importance of lighting. Avoid shooting at noon when the sun is harsh. Try to shoot before the sun is about to set or very early in the morning. The light is soft and will not enhance any imperfections on your face and body. It will actually wash it off (see the picture below. I don't look like that everyday. I have bags under my eyes).

4. Imitate others: Flip through fashion catalogue, Pinterest, Vogue magazine and see how models or other bloggers are posing. You will notice that eventually they all look the same, same walk, same glaze, same leg lifted. Use a mirror and practice. I know this is silly, but you need to know how your body works, how your moves look on the camera. The photo below was inspired by a picture I saw of a model seating on a wall. The location was totally different but I liked the way her arms wrapped her knee. Eventually this is what came out and I love it. 

5. Be natural: over the time shooting with Mallory I become more natural and comfortable. At first I was rigid and you could tell from the pictures. What gets me going is that I start talking to Mallory about my day and I move my arms, I laugh, I jump. That gets my body to be soft and the best pictures are the ones where Mallory catches my natural moments like this photo below. We found this window and liked the concept of using the design but we were not sure about the lighting. I started playing around and the pictures that came out of these 10 minutes were absolutely amazing. 







0 comments:

Post a Comment