Outfit of the week

, , 6 comments
What is style? What is fashion? We sometimes assume that if you are a celebrity and you are following trendy fashion then you have style and you are chic. However, these days than ever the concept of style has changed as new economic and social evolvement have occurred. Less money means that even fashion designers must produce at low cost and low quality (e.g. fabrics), and the emergence of new reality TV shows, while exposing us to minority groups (e.g. whether middle class, students, or factory workers) have created a new image of fashion telling us women that it is ok to wear Stripper shoes, neon colors, and just simple cheap materials. Just think about Jersey Shore, Kim Kardashian, or even Beyonce. I am sorry but these women are far from classy. Their fashion is forced and not natural as an Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly. This is obviously a personal opinion and a nostalgia for the old times of Mad Men, which has limits in itself. But a question remains. Where is fashion taking us? And what kind of woman is representing. Let's be aware that historical events have dictated women fashion. During WWII women had to abandon the homes and started working in factories, thus requiring a more functional attire. The 18th century saw women suffering from respiratory diseases due to corsets too small for their waist. These garments were designed by men to refine the female body to their pleasure. The late 1960s, early 1970s we observed the radical change of fashion with the mini skirts as social revolutions were taking place in Europe and the United States (e.g. feminism). So where are we now? This is for you to decide as you shop, as you flip fashion magazine, as you strive to find a piece of clothing that does not remind you a stripper or bad tripping experience.

In an effort to find the answer I wanted to show you all that good fashion exists, but it is hard to find. Local and small artists are the real big celebrities. I will share with you my picks and find, hoping to bring some elegance back in style.

Pick of the Week: Simplicity and functionality.

If you are not 21 anymore, you probably can't wear or just don't feel it is right to stroll down in jeans or PJ. The stores in your town if you are not from a big city are for young college students: dresses are too shorts at Urban Outfitters or even at Dillards. Ann Taylor is just too old looking for you, and BCBG is just too expensive. You are frustrated at this point and simply wear black everyday. This is how I feel and I am sure you might too. It's hard to find a balance. I picked this outfit because it is fresh and appropriate for young women or young adults. It is also fun. You don't need to be boring to be classy. I am a big fan of mixing prints together. It always worked for me and never looked 'odd.' You probably won't go to work dressed like this, but you definitely can use the shoes, glasses, coin leather wallet and scarf for other more suitable outfits. The point is that you are building a dynamic closet to use for multiple occasion.

Week 1

 

Scarf from rstyle.me; shoes from t.shoemint.com (twitter user); sweater from rstyle.me (not sure if this is a real site or what); umbrella and glasses from jossandmain.com; and leather coin from vonmaur.com.

I tried to credit each picture with the information provided. If there are mistakes please let me know.

 

Thank you, and please comment. I want to know what you think.

 

Gin

6 comments:

  1. Beh hai scelto dei bei capi! Adoro anche l'ombrello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the glasses! Now we can get them more cheaply from web sites like Zenni.....those of us that wear glasses most of the time can have enough pairs to make a fashion statement with them. I especially enjoy the variety of glasses that the character of Penelope Garcia wears on Criminal Minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment. Yes. I have been wearing glasses for a LONG time and I have a nice collection of funky ones. Since I have to wear them I figure I need to have some fun right. Especially because I can't wear contact lenses all the times. I need to post this vintage site that has gorgeous glasses but pricy. I want to see yours now;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want my fashion style to be comfortable, affordable, and not exactly like someone else. I loved this post. I am in the young adult/over 21 age group and I cannot pull off the mini skirt or short dress look anymore, but I don't want to dress "older" either. I want to wear something that represents me now. I don't like having the same outfit as someone else has nor do I like spending $$$$ on clothes. Because of this coupons and bargains are my cup of tea and I still find really cute things that get me compliments. My stores of choice that I mix and match from are: Ann Taylor Loft, Forever 21, TJ Maxx, Shopruche.com, and random small boutiques that have my consumer age group in mind. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and perspective Gin. I think you are right on target. Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea. I am a big fan of wearing age appropriate clothing. Even though I am in a great shape for my age, I do not feel it is appropriate to wear skimpy skirts or dresses. Too many stores offer clothes that are either 1. not classy or 2. too skimpy. I love the idea of simplicity, comfort but yet elegance. I want to look appropriate at all times (you never know whom you may encounter) but at the same time, like Jenna, I like to introduce my personal twists to any outfit I wear. I like to make it "me". I love these items. I can see myself incorporating those in my wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete