How to stay fashionable when it is freezing cold

, , 1 comment
The question is: Is it possible to stay fashionable when it is below freezing temperatures? 


Kenneth Cole coat // Hunters Rain Boots // Guess Jeans // Zara bag 

Despite living in Florida, north Florida, I still get cold during the winter season. I can feel the cold chills on my skin, expanding from the back to the front of my body. Probably the most uncomfortable sensation I frequently experience. 

I don't know how people do it in Boston or New York. Seriously how do people stay fashionable when it is cold and there is snow to clean and ice to scrape from the car window? I don't believe you can or should even try to wear heels or bare legs. You need layers of clothes to survive the winter season and tons of lotion to moisturize that dry looking skin.

I remember when I worked in London my skin went through some weird alternation. In Florida it's humid so you don't need heavy moisturizers unless you want to break out. Who wants that right? In London, I just could not apply enough lotion - I ended up buying vaseline and cocoa butter and lot of it.

So how do you maintain a sense of fashion without looking you just put on a bear on the back of your shoulder? 

First, when I lived in Columbus, Ohio, during my 20s, I drank a lot. That allowed me to wear mini skirts, high boots and bare legs. But unfortunately I am not in my 20s and don't drink like I used to unless I want to end up in a hospital or hang over the next day. Age is a bitch, is it? 

Second, when I lived in London last year I had a geri limited and selected wardrobe for multiple reasons. Pretty much I wore the same 3 outfits for 4 months and these outfits had to last me for summer and Fall-Winter. What did I have?

A) A real good leather jacket: 

You will be surprised but leather jackets can protect from wind, rain, and cold. Wear it in the summer when the air conditioning freezes your butt or wear it on top of sweaters in the Fall. You should expect to pay for a good/decent leather jacket from $200 and up. If you are lucky you can spot one for $50 like I did on sales. Try Burlington Factory or selected outlets around the country. Kenneth Cole had good ones. Also Motivi (Italian brand) and United Benetton.

B) Invest in quality items

what I mean by this is that you need to read labels and do your homework. There is a reason why real wool and cashmere sweaters are expensive. I found that wool sweaters made in England keep me much warmer than any other 'made in China' top brands' sweaters. Many brands now use a mix of nylon, polyester and wool, but the wool % is as low as 5%. That means you are freezing your ass off when it is below 30 degree. 

Whether you are buying a coat or a sweater remember to read the labels and touch the fabric. If it feels like sand paper most likely that is not wool and you will be freezing. Many of H&M coats are like this. You get the latest trend but you pay for it. My motto is always buy less but good long lasting quality items. I wear clothes that I have for 20 years and they still are in great conditions.


In Paris during the winter. Wearing Kenneth Cole Coat // Lacoste
sweater // giant scarf // 


C) A giant scarf is your safer. Use the scarf to wrap it around your neck or face. Or wear it on your shoulder at work. I wear mine like a blanket at work when I get cold.

D) Thermal leggings and shirt.

Yes, you need those. Stop being sexy. Wear thermal leggings underneath your pants and jeans. Pair them with wool thick socks and leather boots. I would wear thighs, leggings and jeans, plus socks and boots when I lived in cold places. Then I wear a tank top, a short sleeve shirt, a long shirt leaves, a sweater and a cardigan. I wear a scarf, hat, and gloves and a coat. That is how I survive my winter each year. Ok, so it is not the most sexy outfit, but it can still look cute.



E) Dresses: Dresses are easy to wear and keep you warm with a pain of thighs and high boots. The one I am wearing below was entirely made with wool design by Costume National. The back was open so you still got that sexy feeling even in the winter.




1 comment: