Pulled Back Muscle During Pregnancy: What to Do

, , No Comments

Second Trimester of Pregnancy: Week 24

Since my morning sicknesses have gone away beginning week 22 I felt great. I had energy, was in a great mood, etc. I decided to join the gym back just to do very light weight and only once or twice a week. Nothing major. I heard it is very beneficial to the baby and birth to be active, so I figured I would go back. Saturday, I had the brilliant idea to work out in the morning and then all day moving furniture (light), cleaning, organizing the entire house, you name it. I even went out to check out a new brewery and to hang out with friends. 

The following night I woke up at 4AM having slept on the left side and exposing my back side to the a/c. [I do not like a/c] Results? I ended up at the hospital for an unsurreal lower back pain that caused me to puke and emit blood (from my nose) like an exorcist. 

I have never ever felt such a pain. I initially thought I was in pre-labor, then I thought I had a kidney stone, but after all tests and a persistent pain after days my primary doctor confirmed: I had pulled the lower muscle so bad that my leg went numb and my back was just crying out loud. I did not know you could puke from a pulled muscle, neither I knew you could actually cry for the pain. I still can't believe I pulled a muscle. I feel like an old lady. 

My doctor obviously knows me very well and while he was checking me out he asked me what I had done the previous days. He then told me to please stop lifting and doing anything around the house, like moving furniture. I guess, I thought I was invincible even with a baby growing in my belly. You hear so much about pregnant women working out or not changing their lifestyle. Well, I don't believe that at all. Look at me and I am quite an active person. 

I did an ultrasound today just to make sure the baby is doing well since I have not heard much movement. Apparently, she changed position and that is why the movements changed too. But she is good. She is currently 1.9 pounds.

If you ever find yourself pregnant and puking with a lower pain go to the women's pavilion at the hospital. Then if they can't determine what you have go to your primary doctor and then request an ultrasound. I was in such a pain for days that I did all kind of visits. You get to be paranoid when you are pregnant because you worry for the baby. You certainly want to make sure your baby is safe.

I also refused to take any medications like muscle relaxer. At the hospital they had to give me pain killers and anti nausea remedies but I was in real bad shape and I was not really alert.

What to do with strain muscle during pregnancy

1. Call your doctor or go to the hospital to determine if the back in the pain is associated to your pregnancy, kidney stone, or pulled muscle. 

2. If it is a pulled muscle visit your primary doctor who will determine diagnosis and treatment.

3. Rest: don't lift or bend. 

4. Physical Therapy - I also got sciatica and could not lay down for the pain so I slept with my back straight against the sofa. Literally I was sitting. Well I didn't sleep for over one week from the pain and the position. The doctor suggested to do physical therapy. i have my first session next week, which really did not help the fact that I have been in pain for over one week. 

5. Patience - You will learn about how to be patience and how to function with constant pain. 

Good luck everyone, I am doing much better now. 


In pain at the women's pavilion in Tallahassee suffering from strain muscle and vomit. 


Happy belly during week 24th 

0 comments:

Post a Comment