"I mean, I like shopping."

, , 2 comments
"Is there anything so wrong with that?"

Watched Confessions of a Shopaholic again the other night. There was one scene during the movie where Rebecca Bloomwood, the affable main character who has a dire addiction to shopping that threatens to ruin her well-dressed life, describes the joys of shopping during a Shopaholics Anonymous meeting.

"The experience is enjoyable. It's more than enjoyable. It's beautiful."



[Wearing Zigi Soho clogs, old Guess jeans that have shredded themselves, white cowl neck sweater for Alloy.com, tan chiffon coat from Lucky, brown studded belt from Wolfgang, and silver fringe earrings.]

I have never been as far down the rabbit hole as Rebecca Bloomwood, but I can relate. There is something inherently satisfying about "swiping" that card and bringing home something nice, shiny... new. However, like in the movie, it's an empty promise. It's a hallow high. And it threatens to destroy your finances while filling your closets with unneeded items that end up cluttering your mind, as well.  And, unlike how Carrie in Sex In The City famously said, shopping does not equate to cardio.

I am happy to say that I'm much much MUCH less of a shopaholic than I used to be. It took a massive clean sweep and 91 day break to realize how futile it all really was. I thought after Gin and I's first trip to the stores I would be forced to restrain myself to keep from falling back into old ways. Instead, I just don't even think about it that often. I think it's good to update your wardrobe every now and then, insert some interesting pieces for a fresh approach, but that's pretty much it.

Fashion is an amazing thing. Gross over consumerism is not.

Oh, and don't forget, come out to the Clothing Swap at Anomaly in Five Points for some "free" new clothes! It's a great way to cleanse, refresh, and donate all in one fell swoop!





2 comments: