Me VS Me

, , 4 comments
Spent the morning reading up on one of my favorite rock musicians of all time... the bold, the beautiful, the righteous Josh Berwanger. Lead singer of The Anniversary and The Only Children and navigator of my youth. I was kind of in love with this guy and will never ever forgive myself for the night we went to his concert in Tally and his band asked to crash at our place and I said NO. The roomies had finals the next day and I didn't want to be rude. What in THE HELL was I thinking?! Sometimes you just fail in life.



Even Justin had a crush on him. He was a master of the music making. It was utterly crushing to watch an interview he gave not to long ago for schooltube.com. He is now working as an assistant basketball coach and paraprofessional and is BALD HEADED. MY frown reaches the all the way to the ground. He was a magician. And now he is... normal. Sigh.

Anyway, in honor of Josh and kind of in honor of my youth I pulled out my old Anniversary tee-shirt. It inspired me to throw on my old uniform and take a short stroll down memory lane. Sort of a me now versus me then. How I would "wear" my self.

[caption id="attachment_702" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Hilary circa 2003"][/caption]

This was my standard. I may have even been wearing this exact outfit when I met Gin. Red corduroy bell bottoms from Forever21, The Anniversary music tee that I got on an amazing road trip to Tampa to them him play, Dollhouse denim jacket, and killer red metallic Diesel shoes. I wore those shoes almost every day. And bell bottoms. And tee-shirts. No jewelry. And glasses. I lived in my glasses, hair hanging in front of my eyes... this was me. This was the lady my husband fell in love with and he seemed pretty pleased to see her resurface after all these years.

[caption id="attachment_703" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Hilary circa 2010."][/caption]

And this is me now. Skinny forest green cargo pants, red leather Gianni Bini pumps, wedding ring, silver/red ring, Tiffany ring... contacts. I guess this is how the me of today would wear this outfit. A little more chic, a little more put together, a little less hippie writer kid interviewing local bands and staying up til 3am every night.

I miss that old me! I mean, I love the new me, but it was fun throwing on my old digs and slipping back into my old self for a second. I was a little bit freer then. A little more idealistic. Although, I have definitely gained in experience and accomplishments. I wouldn't go back... it's just sort of sad/strange that we can't be all of our "selves" at once.

It felt like Josh Berwanger gave up. Or gave in. Turns out he and his wife had a baby that was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, and that kind of ended his music career. A little understandable, but still depressing. How can so many loser musicians be so successful and someone with genuine, awesome talent get stuck on a high school basketball court? Life is strange.

Apparently, he was recording a new album to be released this year and my fingers are crossed that will happen. Whatever form it may take, this guy is the real deal. It would be a better world with more music from Josh Berwanger.







 

4 comments:

  1. "it’s just sort of sad/strange that we can’t be all of our “selves” at once."

    beautifull said, Hil.

    I love both yous! hippie writer kid, be my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we are kindred spirits Carey! Little writer hippie kids at heart... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Def. better the NEW you.. ahahahhaha I wonder if I would say the same thing about my old me. I am sure. I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha DEFINITELY? i am sure my hippie ways charmed you back then. things just change and grow. but i will take them both any day.

    ReplyDelete