With Meaning.

, , No Comments
Today, as Gin has said, was beyond cold. I mean, ripping through your epidermis to freeze your blood kind of cold. And for once, I was underdressed. I thought my angora cable knit sweater and velvet blazer would do the trick, but I was wronger than wrong. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.



Wearing my Citizens of Humanity "normal" jeans [aka regular boot cut jeans that make me appear like a respectable, average member of society - no holes, no odd high or low waists, etc], ivory angora cable knit sweater from The Gap, maroon velvet blazer from The Gap, knitted fingerless gloves from a friend and tan lace up booties from Forever21.

I also wore two necklaces that were given to me by each of my parents.



The first is a Maori Bone Carving Fish Hook Necklace, or a Hei Matau, from New Zealand, given to me by my father and step-mother. It represents strength, prosperity, abundance, fertility and a great respect for the sea. It also is said to provide good luck and safety when traveling over water and often worn by travelers. Hei-Matau are symbols of power and authority which are held in great reverence by the Maori people. [Info here.]



The other is a small Jade Buddha necklace given to me by my mother from China. Jade has been used by the Chinese for over 4,000 years and it represents nobility, perfection, constancy, and immortality. Because it was found on mountains and riverbeds it first represented heaven and Earth. By 2000 B.C., Chinese were using a circular jade disk with a hole cut out in the center called a Pi to symbolize the gods of the heavens and a tube with rectangular sides called a ts'ung to symbolize the spirits of the Earth. Over time, more common jade objects took on the power to protect from the devil, guard against evil spirits, and cleanse people's souls. Some believe today that jade that is worn will darken over time as it absorbs good energy from the wearer. In times of need, it will break or lighten to release this energy to protect the wearer. [Info here.]

They both come from far off lands and have a connection to very strong, ancient, mythical beliefs. Right up my alley... I love them both and will pass along to my own children someday.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment