Torn.

, , 5 comments
I am torn on this journey thing. I have 4 plastic bags full of clothes I intend to get rid of and yet yesterday I had a conversation with my mom that made me think about everything. My parents' house is a collection of items gathered over an entire life. They never get rid of anything. The house looks like a museum. It's eclectic and chaotic. There are little items everywhere. You open a box you might find a picture from the 1920s, a broken light bulb and match boxes from the 1960s. Clothes that are not fashionable anymore are used to clean windows or to do yard work. So the Burberry sweater I used to wear when I was 14 is now used to pick up olives and roll on fields of grass. Other clothing items are kept in hidden places inside wood containers. At times my mom and I would open these 'portals' to see what's back in fashion. This is how I got many of the items that I still wear today, because when those leggings are not in style anymore in 20 years they will be. My mom is obviously not a big minimalist, so if she was me she would keep all of the clothes I own, and not just because. Because clothes carry memories and we don't want to let these memories go. So will I regret getting rid of a skirt I wore when I was 21 at my cousin's wedding?





WEARING: dress designed and made by me. Yep! I took sewing lesson one year and I made few items (3). It's not a great cut, but I love the fabric. The fabric is actually from France and it is supposed to be for upholstery. I am obsessed with upholstery fabric for clothes. Earrings from my mom. Shoes from Guess. They don't fit me anymore. Is it possible that my feet got smaller? They are at least 2 sizes bigger, but I am not getting rid of these.





5 comments:

  1. thats cool you made some clothes. was it hard? i think you really bring up an interesting point about not getting rid of things. but then, i would definitely have to stash them somewhere other than the closet because they were totally clogging my mental ability to dress myself.

    oh, and i wore the jeggings today! but you can't see them. they were functioning more as long underwear than anything else haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beatiful dress (and the fabric ...); the earrings are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Ewa and Ivy (Yvonne, I suppose). I wish I had more time to be creative;)

    ReplyDelete