Fashion to me.

, , 4 comments
A challenge that I wrote about a week ago is dressing in a way to emphasize my intellectual capabilities. This is a real problem in academia. At least in my discipline. I met this female professor at this conference last weekend, with whom I discussed hegemony by Gramsci. I asked her to explain the concept of ideology in relation to hegemony. She nicely discussed it with me, but at a certain point she made a comment, a comment that pointed out at me as a consumer. She said something in the lines of “oh we live in a consumerist society, from film to fashion. Now everyone has heels because we buy into what capitalism tells us to do,” she obviously realized that I was wearing heels. We both looked at my shoes and she smiled like she was right and I was a dumb ass. She then liquidated me and lectured me on how to understand hegemony. I should be an advocate and be part of the real world, I should be talking to real people. I did not say anything, but it made me think about my role in academia. Do I want to be like that woman? Do I really believe that wearing heels is a way of domesticating me? Do I tell that woman that I am involved with everyday people, that I have been subject of discrimination because I was among the masses? What is my role as a consumer, artist and scholar?

For me fashion is art and we are artists who want to express our inner self. The commodification of fashion has nothing to do with heels, as flat D&G shoes can easily be commodified. If wearing heels was the result of commodification then all these female scholars wearing ethnic clothes had fallen into the trap of consumerism. The difference is that I do not consume. I buy items that will last forever. I consume them as I consume shoes until the sole is gone and have to buy a new pair. I try to buy clothes that are fair trade. So why do I feel guilty when I look decently dressed? And why people give me crap about it? Obviously something more serious is going on here, but I just don’t know yet…..



I am wearing heels (boots from 10 years ago. I bought them in Italy, My mom has the same pair but in dark brown. I have not worn them in years, but I actually like them a lot). Black leather mini skirt from Forever 21. It was so short I had to adjust the length. The top is from some foreign countries....I can't remember. My mom told me the story. It s a vest typical of a certain culture. The hat (I love hats) is from Urban Outfitter. My head is alwyas too big for hats but I still buy them.

4 comments:

  1. first off, i love this. second off, i had to wikipedia two phrases! hegemony and commodification. i am learning here, people!

    i think you make some really great points. in this blog we are really questioning what it means to be a consumer and what it means to be fashionable. can the two coexist without becoming a part of the wheel?

    i agree that fashion is art and a form of self-expression. i like the notion that shopping is not intrinsically wrong, or enslaving us to capitalism, or whatever. if you mindlessly shop like i have in the past, then perhaps. but purchasing well made items that you will wear forever is a great way to make a personal statement without losing your identity in the mall.

    and whatever. high heels are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gin... That is a really well-written post.... Probably my favorite of all your posts. You raise some important issues here.... I never thought of heels as a result of capitalism.... But I agree with you Fashion is a way of self-expression.... I love your look in this picture... :)

    PS: Heels or no heels... you look great all the time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] is interesting how Gin pointed out her conflict with being an intellect and being fashionable and how, by being fashionable, you might be discrediting your own intellectual prowess by BUYing [...]

    ReplyDelete