Work Wear-y.

, , 1 comment
So, on Friday I promised an angry Monday blog about the detriments of "Dressing To Impress"... AKA dumbing down your wardrobe so you are SUITable [pun] for the office. I wrote this blog late at night in a fired up frenzy. I sound a little [or a lot] like some bra burner from the 70's [<-- this NEVER happened, by the way], except this time I'm not trying to put a suit on, I'm trying to take it off. What is that again? Third Wave Feminism? Fighting for my right to be girly?


[caption id="attachment_442" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Work Wear."][/caption]

[I am wearing an Aztec printed tank from Anomaly that was a bday gift from a friend, black knit skirt from Forever21, huarache heels from Alloy, tan suede belt from Urban Outfitters, wooden bangles, turq rings, and fuscia scarf from Spain.]

So, here you have it:

"It is interesting how Gin pointed out her conflict with being an intellect and being fashionable and how, by being fashionable, you might be discrediting your own intellectual prowess by BUYing [pun#2] into the Capitalism of it all. You are a part of the wheel. A brainwashed little worker bee who spends spends spends. Who thinks high heels are fashionable and attractive because THE MAN TOLD ME SO.

I feel a similar conflict in the office. Why is it that you cannot express individuality in the office? I am lucky enough to work in a creative environment, but that wasn't always the case. I used to work in offices that require OFFICE WEAR all the time. And this whole argument reflects the psychological purposes and effects of that dress code.

It's like we are all forced to come to work in ill-fitting slacks and a generic blouse or else we might stand out. And if we stand out we might be noticed... which makes me think people don't want to be noticed because they aren't really interested in working and blending in makes not working at work easier. [I don't think that is true for everyone, really, but its interesting. Maybe people really do just want to blend in! And that begs a bigger question.]

Why can't fashionable clothing, or a unique perspective on a wardrobe, be considered professional? Where is it in the  handbook that all unique, identifiable clothing must go by the wayside? What does this mean? We are being blended into the masses and, once again, the Man is to blame. Like, fall in line little soldiers, don't step too far outside the box. What do people think will happen if they put those horrible slacks to rest? There are actually attractive work clothes out there and it doesn't take too much effort to find work appropriate clothing that isn't totally mundane. But people fall in line pretty easily. I even did for a while until I made a conscious decision to dress more like the me outside of work while inside... the work.

[caption id="attachment_441" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Make a statement."][/caption]

And you know what? No one has seemed to mind. Granted, I work in the entertainment biz and we are all a little more 'unique' as it is. But still, this is an office and this is a job where money passes hands and technically I work for the state.

I just wonder how people would be if they didn't have to buy 'work clothes'. Would they be more unique? Would their inner self match their outer self? It makes me feel like society is being bred to 'fit in'. Maybe too much individuality causes friction in mass government. If we are all thinking on our own and making our own choices about what to wear and how to represent ourselves, then how can they extend the hand of control? It's weird to think that this may be done intentionally through what we wear, because fashion is portrayed as very trivial sometimes. But clothes should be used to help define us to the world at first glance. This is who I am, nice to meet you. People hide behind their wardrobe instead of shining through it. People get so bored in middle age and part of me thinks that if they would just dress a little better, a little more like themselves, throw a little excitement into their wardrobe, they might not feel so glum!

Clothes help define us. Even if you wear really boring clothes, you are basically saying 'I am a boring person. You can tell by this really boring outfit I put on.' Each of us are making these decisions daily, so why shouldn't we decide to wear something that really defines us inside and out?

It just seems like 'they' tell us not to. 'They' tell us we have to dress appropriately. AKA don't stand out. Don't be unique. Because unique is a threat.

Or maybe most people are just lazy."

My mind went a little too far down the rabbit hole on that one, but I agree with my... self. I'm just curious to see a world where we can all wear what we want to wear and aren't forced into a pre-established image. It would be bold and bright and beautiful, I bet.

1 comment:

  1. So agree with you. I love dressing to be me. I once had a guy tell me that women who wear hats just want attention. I told him I wear hats because I love wearing hats. Guess who is NOT on medication! Lol! I recently had a friend (now X) write me and tell me that she believes everyone is talking about me behind my back because of how I dress. Oh, well, I love the way I dress because it is me. And by the way, I have always admired your sense of style!!

    ReplyDelete