The Harem Pant.

, , 3 comments
To wear or not to wear? Ugly or fashionable? Comfortable or aggravating? These are the questions that swirled around my mind this morning while I got dressed, as I took these photos, and even as I sit at my desk in between press releases and interview schedules and photographers.



Wearing Silence + Noise black harem pants [on sale for $9.99 at Urban Outfitters - online purchase - somewhat questionable], grey H&M tunic tank, vintage suede grey jacket, wide black belt, black and white tweed loafer heels, David Yurman chain bracelet, turq ring and silver feather necklace.

I think they are meant to be worn differently... or maybe not. I kind of diminish the harem-esque-ness of them by making them high-waisted. If I wear them lower they look frumpy to me. Could just be my body type.

 

[caption id="attachment_291" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Pin Leg."][/caption]

 

I totally look like I have one pin leg in this picture. And a rogue, extra foot growing out of my ankle.

So, the jury's out.

On a different note, today is day 18. So far, this has been a really interesting journey. Some days I feel like I could never run out of clothes to wear, and then other days I have no idea how I am going to make it through the three months without wearing the same outfit twice. Sometimes that seems impossible. Perhaps it just requires more imagination than I want to exert.

Not shopping has been the hardest thing of all. I realize now how much I relied on it as a social activity. Not being able to shop has forced me to come up with other ways to spend my time. I have been writing more, painting more, reading more. I spend time eating nice meals, having fun conversations, going to the movies.

I also find it really interesting how ingrained it is in us, as a culture, that shopping will make us "feel better". Even if nothing is really wrong. Because, honestly, if something is REALLY wrong then shopping is the last thing you want to do. It's like, oh the boss was extra tough today, I need to go shopping. Or, traffic was such a mess today, shopping will really soothe my nerves. And, wow I hate having to do household chores, I am pretty sure I need to do some shopping. It's all this kind of rediculous made up anxiety that is "cured" by spending the almighty dollar. On something I may never use. But in that moment I feel great.

Getting rid of that tiny high and having to replace it with other joys has made room for more meaningful experiences. I am grateful for that. Although when I look at my closet and still feel like I have nothing to wear, or just bored with the things I do have, and don't feel like getting inspired at all and know something new to put on would easily solve that issue, I miss it. Old habits die hard, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Catching up with the FruGals is an excellent break from reading tech riders on the way home from NC. You know I love your Hammer Pants, sad to think I won't see them again until 2011. See *you* tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Gin! That's funny. And maybe in January when we can trade with people again and are no longer confined to our own closets. And Kel- I can wear them again, do not fret. Just not with this outfit.

    ReplyDelete